Did you know that the costs for diagnostic tests can vary by thousands of dollars for the exact same test, depending where you go? Unlike any other purchase, you won’t know the final cost until you receive your bill weeks later—unless you use the Aetna Member Payment Estimator.
How does it work?
Ouch! You hurt your knee while hiking. How much will it cost to find out what’s wrong?
Unless you have a medical emergency, you should visit your primary care physician to help you decide if you simply need rest and ice, or more serious treatment. If your doctor suspects a serious injury, he or she will likely refer you to a specialist. If you visit in-network providers, you will be responsible for the full cost of the in-network charges unless you’ve already met your annual deductible.
Next, the specialist wants you to get an MRI to diagnose your problem, and refers you to the imaging department of your local hospital. How much would it cost to get your MRI at the hospital versus another location? Let’s find out.
- Go to www.aetna.com and log in with your username and password OR open the Aetna mobile app on your smart phone
- Click on See Coverage & Costs and then Estimate Costs
- Type “MRI” in the search box or select it under Diagnostic Tests & Procedures (Your search is based on your address. Edit your location if you’d like to search elsewhere)
- Select “MRI of the Lower Extremity Joint without Contrast (Dye)” (Don’t worry, you aren’t committing to anything by checking on prices)
- Click “Get the Estimates” (You can also type in a specific facility name)
- Click the “View Details” box next to a facility to see how much you will pay, based on whether you’ve met your deductible and/or coinsurance, and how much The Navigators will pay
Want to learn more?
Check out this video on the Member Payment Estimator.